Waxing is the most common method of hair removal today second to shaving. Hair on any part of the body or face can be waxed. Warm wax is applied to the area and then removed, bringing the hair with it. There are two types of wax: hard and soft. Hard wax, which is easier on delicate skin, is often used on the face, underarms, and bikini area. Soft wax is used on the legs, arms, back, and chest.
Waxing reduces hair growth when performed at regular 30-day intervals. Because waxing pulls the hair out by the root, it grows back softer, finer, and thinner. The more you wax, the less hair grows back.
Home Care Before & After Waxing
- Before and after waxing, exfoliating and moisturizing your skin daily is an important factor to prevent ingrown hair and keep skin clear.
- Do not exfoliate and do not apply lotions or creams to areas that will to be treated 12-24 hrs prior to procedure.
- No sun exposure and Tanning booths 2-3 days before and after waxing.
- Avoid saunas, steam rooms, hot baths, swimming in chlorinated pools or beaches and heavy exercises for at least 24 hours after waxing.
- Please wear loose clothing for one day post treatment.
- Avoid touching treated areas with unwashed hands. Apply anti-bacterial cream post treatment in the evening for one night.
- Do not shave between waxing. This distorts the hair growth cycle.
- To prevent ingrown hair use an ingrown hair serum and an exfoliating glove as recommended by technician. Do not pick at ingrown hairs, it may cause scarring and infections. Start exfoliating 48-72 hrs post treatment. Daily in large areas and three times a week in more gentle areas; bikini and face.
- Waxing at approximately four- six week intervals is recommended to reduce discomfort on follow-up visits. In time, less hair will grow back, and it will become finer and lighter in color.
Threading is an ancient method of hair removal originated in Central Asia and India. It has gained popularity in Western countries, especially with a cosmetic application particularly for removing/shaping eyebrows. In threading, a thin (cotton or polyester) thread is doubled, and then twisted. It is then rolled over areas of unwanted hair, plucking the hair at the follicle level. Unlike tweezing, where single hairs are pulled out one at a time, threading can remove short lines of hair.
Advantages cited for eyebrow threading, as opposed to eyebrow waxing, are that it provides more precise control in shaping eyebrows and is gentler on the skin. It can be painful as several hairs are removed at once: however this can be minimized if done correctly.
Why Choose ESFIRsalon?
Our waxing/threading specialist has over 30 years of experience and has been named as one of the Best Waxers in NYC by Allure Magazine in 2013. We use three types of waxes to ensure your skin is protected from irritations and ingrowns. Skin is left smooth and hair free. To prevent any infections or cross contamination there is NO double-dipping at ESFIRsalon.
To learn more about what makes ESFIRsalon special, please contact us today to schedule an appointment at our Manhattan location. Call us at 212-685-3300 or Book an Appointment Online.